Commercial, Railroad Depot, Section 106 Compliance - 2001-2002
About The Project
Isthmus Architecture, Inc. was retained by the State of Wisconsin, Department of Transportation to restore the only remaining depot on the former Chicago & Northwestern Railroad “west end” line, now the Military Ridge Bike Trail. Although this 1913 depot retained a significant portion of its original interior fabric, it suffered from structural degradation and failure of exterior materials and finishes. Major work included integration of new electrical and mechanical systems, restoration of the slate roof, replacement of all exterior siding, structural repairs and rebuilding of the original brick-surfaced loading platform. The building is now used as a trail interpretive center as well as a museum for local railroad history.
The restoration was made possible partially by a Department of Transportation 2001 Enhancement Grant.